For single-unit products without shrink film, such as gallons, big bottles, jars or similar, the Alimac solution is cost-saving compared to other handling solutions such as rigid handles, moulded bottles and similar.
According to our experience all over the world, in most cases, these systems can be more expensive than tape carry handles.
The Alimac solution gives a good return on investment at the same time ensuring a safe hold on packaging. More specifically:
• The price of the Alimac tape carry handle is usually lower than the alternative systems.
• Payback reduction.In most cases, the savings generated by the Alimac solution reduce the payback period of the handle applicator and can cover 100% of the price from the first year. This is what we call the ROI System.
• Continuity of operations on the production line.The Alimac tape carry handle significantly reduces downtimes on the production line through the best tape-machine interaction.
• More added value.The tape carry handle has the great advantage of being perceived by consumers as a customer care tool, and a communication tool for brand/product communication. Even if the price of other systems is the same (rarely), the Alimac solution has more added value.
Many customers take these aspects into consideration when evaluating the ROI and cost-benefit analysis of the Alimac solution.
b) Shrink wrapped multi-packs
For multi-packs with shrink film, such as in the Beverage sector (i.e. 3 x 2 bottle or 4 x 3 bottle formats), the Alimac tape carry handle solution is cost-saving in 3 ways:
1. Thinner shrink film Due to its strong, light hold, the tape carry handle enables the use of thinner shrink film, with evident saving on film price. If we consider the large volumes of fast moving consumer goods, we have an idea of the great savings produced by the Alimac solution.
2. Replacing cartons A great economic advantage on multipacks is from the use of handled shrink film replacing expensive and less comfortable cartons.
Some manufacturers worldwide are moving from cartons to shrink film, and some of them find it very useful to apply the tape carry handle, especially in the Beverages sector.
As a result of the innovative Mactec Combi machine (shrink film applicator + handle applicator in the same machine), Alimac makes quick application of the shrink film and tape carry handle in the same application cycle possible.
The tape carry handle is applied as a post-shrink application. This is an advantage because it enables addition of the arc shape device creating space between the hand and the top of the packaging.
The Alimac solution also removes some negative effects of cartons:
• the product image can be damaged by humidity
• use of trees for carton production
• colours are more brilliant with shrink film
• Less CO2 for transport
3. Replacing shrink film In some cases, the Alimac tape carry handle can completely replace the use of shrink film to package small items, for example in the Tissue sector, due to the strong adhesive ability and flexibility.
Small items can be kept together by just one self-adhesive tape carry handle, acting in the same way as shrink film to keep them together. The Alimac tape carry handle gives cohesion and packaging stability for easy and safe transport.
An example of this use in the Tissue sector is shown below:
c) The ROI System
The Alimac-Mactec Integrated System (AMIS) gives a great advantage - just one single global supplier to develop the complete packaging solution for handling packaging.
Alimac is able to provide the handle applicator (durable good), the roll of tape carry handles (consumable goods) and a full range of pre-sale, sale and after-sales services for both these goods.
This enables the creation of a “System ROI ”, where the savings generated by the tape carry handle produce the effect of accelerating the payback period of the machine.
The sale price of the handle applicator can influence that of the tape carry handle and vice versa, according to the specific needs of the customer. It is easier to customize the commercial solution.
As Alimac is a provider of an all-in-one solution, a single integrated technical team for commissioning and after-sales interventions is not only cost-saving but will also have beneficial effects on the production line, such as:
• fast resolutions of problems (both for durables and consumables).In today’s scenario, providers of equipment and tape carry handles can sometimes bounce responsibility back if there are technical problems.
• No downtimes due to the tape-machine interaction, which is one of the highest in the market